Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Cascumpeque Parish
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Mission of Cascumpeque, Kildare and Tignish was the second Church of England parish established in Prince Edward Island west of St. Eleanors. It later became know as the Parish of Alberton. The first clergyman to minister to the parish was Rev. Robert W. Dyer who arrived in 1859 and for the first few years preached in the school house and Temperance Hall. By the 1890s there were four churches included in the parish: Christ Church at Kildare Capes (built in 1851), St. Peter's in Alberton (the original church at Cascumpeque consecrated in 1869 had been replaced by the second church at Main and Church streets in 1892), Holy Trinity at Alma, and St. Luke's in Alberton (both opened in 1890).
Christ Church at Kildare Capes was destroyed by fire on 18 July 1923 and the Methodist Church at Montrose was purchased and moved to take its place. St. Peter's in Alberton also burned on 5 August 1927 and was rebuilt immediately and consecrated between May of 1929 and May of 1930.