Alberton Presbyterian Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Alberton Presbyterian Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Old Dock Church

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


During the early years of the congregation, the Presbyterian minister in Alberton was responsible for pastoral care of families from West Point to North Cape, Prince Edward Island. In 1829, the Alberton congregation decided to build a church. By the Christmas of 1833, the shell had been erected and by 1835, the church was being use for worship and was given the name Old Dock Church. Reverend J.C. Sinclair became the congregation's first settled minister in 1843. As the congregation expanded, a larger church was constructed, but on 2 October 1856, near completion, the church was completely destroyed by fire. Deciding to rebuild, the site of the church was moved and was finished by 1857. In 1865, under Mr. Fraser's ministry, West Point, West Cape, Cambellton, and the Brae became a separate charge. By 1871, the boundaries of his charge were reduced to the immediate Alberton area. In 1925, the Alberton Presbyterian and Methodist congregations united to form the Alberton United Church of Canada charge.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

RAD 24.3G1c


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

30 July 2001. Copied from PEIAIN 12 February 2015.





Maintenance notes