Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Publicly avowed as a church in 1830, and after meeting in various homes and barns for close to a decade, the Baptists of Alexandra, Prince Edward Island, built their first church in 1838. From a beginning of 15 members the size of the congregation fluctuated throughout the nineteenth century - weakened in the 1840's and 1850's when the church was solely dependent upon visiting brethren and Home Missions; strengthened in the 1860's and 1870's by the evangelistic efforts of Rev. E.N. Archibald and Rev. Donald MacDonald and the organization of prayer meeting and Sunday School.
In 1886 the decision was made to build a new church. A division of opinion regarding location delayed the building of the church which was erected in 1896. Throughout the nineteenth century Alexandra was associated with other Baptist congregations: Belfast, Hazelbrook, Uigg, Eldon and Grand View. In 1907 the departure of Grand View, Eldon and Uigg led to the formation of the Hazelbrook Field, a circuit comprised of the Crossroads Church of Christ Disciples, and the Alexandra and Hazelbrook Baptist Churches. Alexandra Baptist church remains a part of the Hazelbrook Field to the present.