Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Apothecaries Hall - Hughes Drug Co. Ltd.
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Apothecaries Hall Co. was located in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on the corner of Queen and Grafton Streets. Thomas Desbrisay, Jr., son of the former Lieutenant Governor, opened an apothecary shop at this location in 1810, and his son Theophilus took it over in 1857. The apothecary was bought in 1874 by George Hughes, who began operations as "Apothecaries Hall - Hughes Drug Co. Ltd." In 1901 the original wooden building was replaced with the three storey brick building that remains there today. The drugstore changed hands several times before closing its doors in 1986. The drugstore had been the first of its kind. It had a large following, including high-profile customers, and vital services clients such as the Prince Edward Island Hospital and Asylum. Hughes Drugstore was Canada's oldest retail pharmacy and is now a national historic site.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
24 August 2009. Copied from PEIAIN 30 June 2015.