Fonds MHCA0031 - Bonnie Brae Inn guest register

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bonnie Brae Inn guest register

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of fonds

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1950-1952 (Creation)
    Bonnie Brae Inn

Physical description area

Physical description

1 texual item

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Bonnie Brae Inn (1947-1952)

Administrative history

The Bonnie Brae Inn operated at 67 (formerly 64) Central Street, Summerside from 1947 until 1952. The large two and a half storey building, which had previously accommodated travellers as the Mawley House, was constructed in 1907 by J. M. Clark for Jane and Caroline Mawley after their first hotel burned in the 1906 Summerside fire. The proprietor of the Bonnie Brae Inn in the 1950 PEI Directory was listed as Lloyd Anderson. It was advertised as having running water in every room and a dining room that stayed open until 11 p.m. Guests from as far away as British Columbia, Florida, and England stayed for rates varying from two to four dollars a night.

Custodial history

The register was found in a cupboard in the basement of the house at 67 Central Street by Sterling Trainor. He was the landlord of the building, which was divided into rental apartments in the mid-1950s.

Scope and content

The register is a 200-page lined journal used to record the names and addresses of the travellers who stayed at the Bonnie Brae Inn from April 20, 1950 to October 16, 1952. The last entry is followed by several blank pages, presumably indicating the date the establishment ceased to take in overnight guests. Eight pages at the back of the book were used to make various notes regarding bookings and payments.

Notes area


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Finding aids


Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

MacNaught History Centre and Archives

Accession 000.20.20

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres