Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Breadalbane Church of Christ was established in Breadalbane, Prince Edward Island, under the direction of Donald Crawford. Crawford emigrated to Prince Edward Island with his parents in 1827. At the age of 21, he began preaching the gospel throughout Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, and Prince Edward Island. He settled in New Glasgow, PEI, in 1855.
The first evangelical baptism in the Breadalbane area appears to have taken place in 1857. By 1877, the number of converts had risen to such an extent that a proper meeting house was required. In June of that year, construction of the Breadalbane Church of Christ began on land purchased by Donald Crawford. It was opened for services in October. The original building was renovated in 1925.
Although services and the Sunday School were held in the church beginning in 1877, the congregation was not officially organized until 1904, under the ministry of John Simpson. At that time, the first trustees and deacons were chosen. Mid-week prayer meetings and Bible study were held in the church on alternate weeks with Fredericton and New Glasgow. A Young People's Society was established in 1954. A Ladies' Aid Society operated for some time, although the exact dates are unknown, and the Women's Missionary Society was established in 1948.
In 1936, the church was renamed "Crawford Memorial Church" in honor of its founder, Donald Crawford. However, by 1977, the church was known as the Breadalbane Christian Church.