Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Charlottetown Gas Light Company was incorporated on 16 April 1853 to supply the inhabitants of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, with gas light. A year later, a waterfront plant on the city's eastern edge began supplying gas to some 60 houses. In 1859 the company erected the first 11 gas street lamps on Queen and Grafton Streets and continued to add new lamps until by 1879, there were 125 throughout the city.
The Charlottetown Gas Light Company enjoyed a monopoly on supplying lighting for the city until 1885 when it lost the contract to the Royal Electric Company of Montreal, Quebec. With the loss of its major client, the Charlottetown Gas Light Company went into decline and ceased operations in 1898. Its assets were purchased by the Charlottetown Light and Power Company.