Forme autorisée du nom
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
The Charlottetown Gas Light Company was incorporated on 16 April 1853 to supply the inhabitants of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, with gas light. A year later, a waterfront plant on the city's eastern edge began supplying gas to some 60 houses. In 1859 the company erected the first 11 gas street lamps on Queen and Grafton Streets and continued to add new lamps until by 1879, there were 125 throughout the city.
The Charlottetown Gas Light Company enjoyed a monopoly on supplying lighting for the city until 1885 when it lost the contract to the Royal Electric Company of Montreal, Quebec. With the loss of its major client, the Charlottetown Gas Light Company went into decline and ceased operations in 1898. Its assets were purchased by the Charlottetown Light and Power Company.