Daley (Family)

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

Daley (Family)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Patrick Daley (1868-1941), a butcher, owned a meat market on the corner of Hanover and Eustane streets in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. His father William (1828-1924), a ship carpenter of Irish descent, married Sophie Gamble (1830-1914). Patrick, one of 5 children, married Maude Arsenault and had 8 sons: Hugh, Harry, Roy, Horace, William, Frank, Frederick, and Arthur. The sons all helped in the business but Hugh and Fred eventually took it over. When they went on to other employment, the building was demolished and the youngest son Roy (1914-1984), nicknamed Pony, built an eating establishment there which he called Pony’s Restaurant.

Another son Harry (1909-1994) served as a Company Quarter-master Sergeant in the PEI Highlanders for the duration of World War II. He married Beryl Milligan (1916-1954) of Sherbrooke, PEI and worked in the accounting department at Holman’s Ltd. for 19 years and then with several other businesses. Their two sons Gerald Arthur (b.1940) and Paul Alexander (b.1948) grew up at 164 Central Street. Gerald began working for The Journal-Pioneer newspaper in 1959. After 7 years he became a journeyman printer and in 2002 is employed by the newspapers’ printing division Williams and Crue (1982) Ltd. In 1963 he married Norma Effie McCaull and they raised five children at their home in Reid’s Corner, now part of Summerside. Over the years he has been an active member of St Mary’s Anglican Church and has voiced his opinion on many issues in the form of letters to the editor.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

RAD 22.29B


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

23 October 2002. Copied from PEIAIN 23 April 2015.





Maintenance notes