Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Riverside Hospital
- Prince Edward Island Hospital for the Insane
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first hospital for those suffering from mental illness was established in Prince Edward Island in 1845 at a site in the Charlottetown Common at Brighton. The first patients were admitted in May 1847 but quickly evicted to make way for victims of typhus. Mental patients were readmitted in June of 1848. The original building was enlarged several time to accommodate the increasing number of patients. In 1880, a new building was erected at Falconwood Farm in Charlottetown Royalty, the present location of the Hillsborough Hospital. This new facility was named the Prince Edward Island Hospital for the Insane and later changed to Falconwood Hospital in 1911.
In 1931 the hospital was partially destroyed by fire but was rebuilt in the following two years. By 1957, the Falconwood consisted of the main hospital building, an Active Treatment Centre, and the original farm buildings which were still in use. In that year, the name of the facility know as the Active Treatment Centre, in which patients resided for a maximum of three months, was changed to the Hillsborough General Hospital. The main hospital building was known as the Riverside Hospital or the Riverside Home for Special care which provided care for long-term residents. In 1968, a new building was constructed in place of the Active Treatment Centre and the facilities became collectively known as the Hillsborough Hospital. Long term care residents continue to be housed in this latest addition to the complex.