collection Acc4190 - Hillsborough Bridge (1902) construction fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Hillsborough Bridge (1902) construction fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document iconographique

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on contents of the fonds

Niveau de description


Code de référence

CA PCA Acc4190

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production


  • 1901-1903 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

35 photographs

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur


Histoire administrative

Provenance is unknown.

Historique de la conservation

It is likely that these photographs are part of the collection of Charles Arthur Farquharson, one of the engineers on the construction of the bridge, as some are duplicates of those in Acc3909.

Présentation du contenu

The fonds consists of some 33 photographs taken during the construction of the Hillsborough bridge in 1901- 1903. There are also two railway photographs. Photographer is unknown.

On 18 April 1900 an agreement was signed between the federal and provincial governments for the construction of a railway and carriage bridge across the Hillsborough River, Prince Edward Island. This was to constitute part of the Murray Harbour Branch of the P.E.I. Railway and would allow people east of Charlottetown an option other than travelling by ferry to and from Charlottetown or by road around Mount Stewart. Construction was begun in the spring of 1901 by M. J. Haney of Toronto under a detail contract. Twelve spans of steel bridgework were dismantled from a bridge near Derby Junction Station on the Miramichi in New Brunswick and eleven were re-erected and set on newly constructed piers to sit 15 feet above the high water line. The fifth span was a draw span which opened and closed for navigation on the river. In the late 1950's concern mounted that the bridge was growing too old to support the increasing traffic and it was closed for a brief period of time to the intense dismay of Islanders. Although it was reopened, it was soon after replaced by the current bridge in 1961 and was dismantled in 1963. The piers however were never dismantled and are still visible from the new bridge.

Zone des notes


Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Due to the fragile condition of the originals, researchers are required to use the photocopies in the photograph albums in the Reading Room

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication


Instruments de recherche


Éléments associés

See also: Acc3909

Éléments reliés


Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Points d'accès

Points d'accès lieux

Points d'accès Noms

Genre access points

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service responsable de la description

Niveau de détail

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Zone des entrées

Personnes et organismes en relation

Lieux en relation

Related genres