Collection MHCA0028 - John and Margaret Hopkirk collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

John and Margaret Hopkirk collection

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of collection

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1870-1997 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

.07 m. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Hopkirk, John (Jock) (1913-1997)

Biographical history

John (Jock) Hopkirk (1913-1998) was born in Glasgow, Scotland and came to Canada as a young man. He left a job with the Tanton Lumber Company in Summerside, Prince Edward Island to enlist with the Air Force in 1940 and was posted to RCAF Station Summerside. He married Margaret Curtis (1916-2003) of Freetown. After the war ended he ran a second-hand shop called The Trading Post on Water Street and later established himself as a stockbroker with Richardson Securities, which had a second-floor office in the building on the northeast corner of Water and Summer Streets. He was a member of the Y’s Men, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Caledonia Club. His wife Margaret was also active in community organizations, including a local art club. The couple raised two sons, Gerald and John.

Name of creator

Hopkirk, Margaret (Curtis) (1916-2003)

Biographical history

Margaret Curtis (1916-2003) was born in Freetown, Prince Eward Island. She married John (Jock) Hopkirk (1913-1998) of Glasgow, Scotland, who had come to Canada as a young man. The couple had two sons, Gerlad and John. Margaret was active in community organizations, including a local art club.

Custodial history

The Hopkirks collected the materials over several decades. Margaret Martin brought them to MHCA in August 2001 on behalf of Margaret Hopkirk who was living at the South Shore Villa in Crapaud at the time.

Scope and content

The collection consists mainly of special edition newspapers, including the Journal-Pioneer centennial issues for the province in 1964 and 1967, the town of Summerside in 1977, and the Summerside Journal in 1965. There are also supplements to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the RCAF Station in 1966 and the 40th anniversary of CJRW in 1988. An issue of The County Line Courier in 1990 is a special railway edition and another in 1991 is devoted to Celtic culture on the Island. There are two issues, Volume I, Nos. 3 & 5, of The Daily Journal published in 1896 by W.A. Brennan, owner of The Summerside Journal. Some newspaper clippings refer to the debate about Maritime Union in 1970 and the Summerside Waterfront Development Program in 1971. The collection contains an 1891 Young Ladies Journal, a 1923 guide to Prince Edward Island by publisher Ernest Heaton in Toronto, a 1927 map of the province, and a colour print of the ship "Charles E. Lefurgey." There is a 1950 article from the Montreal Standard about Summerside titled "Canada's Richest Town" and a 1986 article about the California periodical The Maple Leaf. A sizable portion of the material is related to the building of the Confederation Bridge and the earlier proposals for a link to the mainland.

Notes area


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

The newspaper clippings have been photocopied and the originals discarded. The special editions and supplements are original. A photocopy of the 1950 Standard article has been made to save handling of the original

General note

The two issues of the Daily Journal may be the only existing issues

Alternative identifier(s)

MacNaught History Centre and Archives

Accession 001.33.68

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area