Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Margate, Prince Edward Island first became head of a Methodist Circuit in 1858. Stations on the circuit were Margate, Granville, Stanley Bridge, Bowness School House, Summerside, Port Hill, Fifteen Point and Kensington. Prior to that date those congregations had been ministered to by preachers from Charlottetown and Bedeque. The earliest Methodist Church in Margate was built in 1835, rebuilt in 1863 and the current one opened in 1898. Circuits were constantly changing and in 1893 the Margate circuit was divided into two: Granville circuit including Granville, Pleasant Valley, Stanley Bridge, Hunter River and Wheatley River and Margate circuit including Margate, Irishtown, Kensington and Freetown which had been disunited from Bedeque. At the time of Union in1925 the circuit was composed of Margate, Long River and New London and became a pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada. Malpeque, formerly known as Princetown, which had been part of the Princetown - Lot 16 United pastoral charge became part of the Margate charge in 1968.
Presbyterianism had a long history in Princetown with the earliest church being built ca. 1794. In those early years the faithful were occasionally visited by travelling clergy such as Dr. MacGregor, Rev. Urquhart, and Rev. Peter Gordon. Rev. John Keir arrived in 1808 and ministered to the congregation for 50 years. His "parish" at first included all of Prince County and part of Queens. In 1819 Richmond Bay and Bedeque were disjoined and in 1825 Bedeque was made a separate circuit. In 1858 under the pastorship of Rev. Robert Laird the charge included Malpeque, Darnley, Sea View, Hamilton, the Baltic, Spring Valley, and Kensington. In 1925, the Princetown Presbyterian Church which had been built in 1870 became the Princetown United Church. Dissenting Presbyterians continued to hold services in the Malpeque Hall until 1927 when the new Keir Memorial Church was erected.