Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
On 8 May 1900, residents of the Mayfield, Prince Edward Island area met to discuss the building of a community hall. Construction began in July of that year. The lumber for the building was bought from William Moffatt and Joseph P. Doiron was paid $94.00 to build the hall. Individuals in the community could become shareholders in the Mayfield Hall by paying $5.00 cash or by contributing $5.00 worth of labour. The Mayfield Hall Company was incorporated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1900.
Meetings of the shareholders were held annually to elect a board of directors and to discuss any necessary repairs or additions to the hall. At an annual meeting on 15 November 1902, the bylaws of the Mayfield Hall Company were approved. The bylaws indicate that the hall could be rented out for all meetings of "moral, social, or political nature, but in no case shall it be let for the purpose of holding meetings of immoral or infidel tendency." Religious groups were allowed to use the hall free of charge (a collection was to be taken in order to defray the costs of lighting and heating the building) and all other groups were charged a small fee. Over the years, various groups used the hall for their meetings, including the Farmer's Institute, Women's Temperance Union, political parties, literary societies, and a Young Peoples' group. Elections, plays, school fairs, lectures, and magic lantern shows were also held in the Mayfield Hall.
The last meeting of the Mayfield Hall shareholders and directors was held at the Shining Waters Lodge on 7 September 1965. The minutes of the previous meeting, held in 1952, were read and those present discussed selling the Mayfield Hall. At a meeting held 1 October 1965, the hall was sold to Ira Cole. There are no minutes recorded for the October meeting and the amount of the sale is unknown.
In 1899, the Cattle Act was passed, requiring all persons importing cattle into the province to have the cattle tested for Tuberculosis. Consequences for failing to abide by the laws included fines, quarantine of the cattle, and destruction of any cattle which tested positive for Tuberculosis. Between 1901 and 1922, so-called Cattle Act meetings were held annually, possibly in the Mayfield Hall, during which members of the Mayfield community appointed a Reeves to see that the rules regarding domestic animals were obeyed. According to the meeting book, the group annually set dates during which domestic animals in the area were not allowed to roam unattended.