Fonds MHCA0044 - New London - Granville Presbyterian Church fonds : [1853-1902]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

New London - Granville Presbyterian Church fonds : [1853-1902]

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of fonds

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • Digitized ca. 2000 (Reproduction)
  • 1853-1902 (Creation)
    New London - Granville Presbyterian Church

Physical description area

Physical description


Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

New London - Granville Presbyterian Church

Administrative history

Presbyterian missionary Rev. James MacGregor visited the settlement of New London, Prince Edward Island, as early as 1806. After that date, Rev. John Kier who lived in Malpeque ministered to the small group of adherents and a log church was built on Yankee Hill in 1816. In 1826 Rev. Hugh Dunbar settled in the community and stayed until 1835. The arrival of a large body of Scots in the early 1830s necessitated larger accommodation for worship services with the result that two buildings were erected, one on each side of the South West River. The church on the south side took the name of St. John's and for about ten years Rev. John McLennan, the Kirk minister of Belfast, PEI, oversaw the work of the elders and conducted communion and baptism on a yearly basis. Rev. Alexander Sutherland was appointed minister in 1852 by the Free Church Presbytery of Pictou. During his tenure, he also served a newly formed congregation in Granville. After his departure in 1859 the congregations of Granville and New London South (Clifton) met with the assistance of supply ministers until the arrival in 1865 of Rev. Donald McDougall. He resigned after two years and Rev. Alexander Cameron of New London North filled the gap until Rev. John Murray took the pastoral charge for two years. In 1877 the north and south churches were reunited under Rev. Isaac Murray who stayed for a year. The charges once more were separated and the pulpits of Clifton and Granville remained vacant until Rev. Alexander Sterling accepted a call. He was still there in 1892 when Summerfield was added to the charge.

Custodial history

The early records of the New London - Granville congregations were scanned and burned to CD by Shelley MacLeod of Summerside. She donated a copy to MacNaught History Centre and Archives in 2000.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a CD ROM containing the records of the New London - Granville Presbyterian Church for the period 1853-1902. Each image on the CD represents one page from the original book. There are several missing pages and no scans were made of the blank pages. The records include the New London Communion Roll of 1855, a Register of Marriages (1853-1874) and Baptisms (1855-1865). In 1865 a new Baptismal Record was created for the New London and Granville congregations and includes records up to 1902.

Notes area


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

The original record book is stored in the vault of the Summerside Presbyterian Church, having been placed there by a minister who served the New London congregation in the late 1990s.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Finding aids


Associated materials

Annual reports and financial statements (1923-1991) from St. John’s Presbyterian Church in New London are held at the Public Archives and Records Office in Charlottetown in Acc4320

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

MacNaught History Centre and Archives

Accession 001.52.87

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area