Orwell Corner Inc. Board of Directors

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Orwell Corner Inc. Board of Directors

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Orwell Corner Historic Village is on the property which contained D. E. Clarke's store, house and barns, and also a 1861 church and 1895 one room school. In 1970 the Provincial Centennial Commission, various departments of the Provincial and Federal governments, and community volunteers began restoring the site to the late nineteenth century. The 1973 Centennial Commission allotted $94,000 for the continued development and restoration of the eleven acre site. As well as the buildings there are fences, gardens, an orchard, farm animals, and activities and operations of the time such as a shingle-mill and a blacksmith shop. It was opened to the public on 16 July 1973. A community corporation made up of seven officers was in charge of the operations of the property in the early 1970s. This group became the Board of Directors of Orwell Corner Incorporated which worked in partnership with the Prince Edward Island Heritage Foundation. The first president of Orwell Corner Inc. was Ernest Taylor. Currently the site is owned by the Province of Prince Edward Island. It is administered by the Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation and the Orwell Corner Pioneer Village Corporation with support from various departments of government as well as generated revenues. Orwell Corner is located approximately twenty miles east of Charlottetown and half a mile off the Trans Canada Highway.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes