Series Acc3456-s2 - Orwell Head Presbyterian/United Church records : [1887-1968]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Orwell Head Presbyterian/United Church records : [1887-1968]

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA Acc3456-Acc3456-s2

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • Microfilmed 1983 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 reels of 35 mm. microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

The series contains successive Presbyterian and United Church baptisms, marriages, burials, session and congregational minutes, and membership and pastor rolls. They are arranged in the following subseries:

Subseries 1: Baptisms, marriages, burials
Subseries 2: Session minutes
Subseries 3: Congregational and trustees minutes
Subseries 4: Membership, pastor rolls

The Orwell Head Church of Scotland was built in 1829 by Rev. Donald MacDonald. It was replaced in 1864 by a new and larger structure. On July 7, 1887, the congregation was received into the Presbyterian Church in Canada. Within a year the Orwell section of the Belfast congregation united with Orwell Head to form one parish. Parishioners came from the communities of Orwell, Dundee, Uigg, Cherry Valley, Valleyfield, Pownal, Lyndale, Earnscliffe, Vernon River, Fairfield, Kinross, etc. In 1925 the Orwell Head parish became part of the United Church of Canada. Orwell Head remined a separate circuit until 1968 when it joined with Orwell, Vernon River, Cherry Valley, Millview and Pownal to become part of the Vernon River United pastoral charge.

Notes area


The microfilm does not reflect the intellectual arrangement of this description. To flocate a particular volume of interest, please consult the volume and microfilm listings

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids


Associated materials

These records duplicate part of Acc4414, Series2

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres