Orwell Head United Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Orwell Head United Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The Orwell Head Church of Scotland was built in 1829 by Rev. Donald MacDonald. It was replaced in 1864 by a new and larger structure. On 7 July 1887, the congregation was received into the Presbyterian Church in Canada. Within a year the Orwell section of the Belfast congregation united with Orwell Head to form one parish. Parishioners came from the communities of Orwell, Dundee, Uigg, Cherry Valley, Valleyfield, Pownal, Lyndale, Earnscliffe, Vernon River, Fairfield, Kinross, etc. In 1925 the Orwell Head parish became part of the United Church of Canada. Orwell Head remined a separate circuit until 1968 when it joined with Orwell, Vernon River, Cherry Valley, Millview and Pownal to become part of the Vernon River United pastoral charge.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes