Forme autorisée du nom
Pownal United Church
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
The United Church in Pownal, Prince Edward Island has roots in both the Bible Christian and Methodist faiths. There was a Bible Christian Church congregation in Pownal as early as 1848. The Methodist Church in Pownal operated as part of the Charlottetown circuit in its earliest days, forming a separate circuit sometime between 1846 and 1855. Existing Methodist records date back to 1857 and a new church opened on Christmas Day 1870. In 1884 when the amalgamation of the various branches of the Methodist Church and the Bible Christian Church to form the Methodist Church in Canada became official, Cherry Valley joined the Pownal circuit. In 1925 the Pownal Methodist Church became part of the new United Church of Canada. Through the years the Pownal circuit also included Alexandra, Clifton, Mt. Herbert, Albion, Alberry Plains, Millview, Southport, Mermaid and Hazelbrook. In 1962 Mt. Herbert and Clifton became part of the congregation of Trinity United Church in Charlottetown and in 1968 Pownal joined with the congregations of Orwell, Orwell Head, Cherry Valley, Millview and Vernon River to form St. Andrew's United Church in Vernon River.