Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1968 the United Church pastoral charges of Hampton and Tryon, Prince Edward Island, were amalgamated to form the Tryon/Hampton pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada. This was the most recent in a series of changes in the boundaries of charges and denominations.
Tryon was part of the Methodist Charlottetown circuit in 1815. From 1817 to 1873 Tryon and Bedeque formed a separate circuit, sharing a minister until 1868. For a time this circuit extended as far as West Cape and Margate. In 1873 the circuit was divided with the Tryon charge comprised of Tryon, Mt. Tryon, Cape Traverse, Crapaud, and Westmoreland. By 1892 it had assimilated Victoria, DeSable, Augustine Cove and Appin Road.
The Bonshaw Presbyterian Church, which also ministered to the faithful of DeSable and Appin Road, united with Tryon in 1865 to form the Tryon/Bonshaw charge of the Presbyterian Church. Hampton was a preaching point on the Tryon/Bonshaw circuit with services being held in the schoolhouse. The Hampton Presbyterian Church was built in 1888 on land purchased in 1880.
With church union in 1925 two charges of the United Church of Canada were formed: the Tryon charge comprised of Tryon, Crapaud and North Tryon and the Hampton charge comprised of Hampton, Victoria, DeSable and Appin Road. Albany joined the Tryon charge in 1927 and Cape Traverse was part of the charge from 1943 until 1968 when it was transferred to the Bedeque charge.
In 1969, the congregation at Crapaud began to worship at Tryon and the DeSable and Appin Road congregations joined in service with the Hampton congregation.