Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Presbyterian congregation of Woodville (Wood Islands), Prince Edward Island, was ministered to by Dr. MacGregor of Pictou County between 1806 and 1819. Rev. John MacLennan served from 1825 to 1843 when most of the congregation became Free Church of Scotland. The congregation continued to receive services from itinerant ministers and students from the Free Church Presbytery in Pictou until Rev. Donald MacNeil was installed as minister in 1857. In the 1860's the small church on the main road was replaced by a new church in the center of the community. This church burned to the ground on 28 November 1943 and was replaced by an edifice designed by J.E. Harris. The dedication service for the new church took place on 10 May 1946.
For many years the charge was called the Woodville and Little Sands Presbyterian Congregation until the PEI Presbytery separated Little Sands and amalgamated it with Murray Harbour South in 1891. Financial difficulties in the 1930s and 1940s eventually led to the sharing of a minister by Wood Islands, Culloden, and Murray Harbour South. The Wood Islands Presbyerian Church drew its congregation from the communities of Flat River, Wood Islands, Culloden, Belle River, Iris, and Melville.