Skip to Main Content

Archives Council of Prince Edward Island

print small medium large 

HOME /


Display results for Fonds Acc3607

Displaying detail for fonds Acc3607

Identifier

    Acc3607

Name of Repository


Title/Stmnt of Responsibility

    Chappell & Hunter, Architects fonds

Dates of Creation

    1888-1942

Physical Description

    ca. 1200 architectural drawings

Administrative History

    The Charlottetown architectural firm of Chappell and Hunter was composed of architects Charles Benjamin Chappell and John Hunter Marshall. For some years in the 1920s and 30s the firm operated out of the Hughes Building on Queen Street.

    Charles Benjamin Chappell was born in Charlottetown on10 October 1857, the son of William Chappell and Mary Ann Turner. On 25 September 1878 Chappell married Louisa Jane Holman with whom he had two sons, Ernest C. and Frederick John and two daughters, Carrie and Ethel. Although listed as a carpenter in the 1881 census, in just a few years he was a partner in the firm of Phillips and Chappell and receiving commissions for work in Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. His earliest works were the Charlottetown City Hall in 1887 and many of the buildings on Richmond Street which had been destroyed by fire in 1884. He also designed the Herald Building in Halifax and, for a time maintained an office in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

    John Marshall Hunter was born in Lennoxtown, Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1881. He was married to Mary J. Taylor with whom he had at least one son, Joseph T. Hunter. After serving an apprenticeship as an architect with a Glasgow firm, he subsequently accepted an offer from the Canadian Pacific Railway. Later, as a member of a firm of Montreal architects specializing in church and home architecture, one of his first assignments was St. Dunstan's Basilica in Charlottetown to replace the church which had recently been destroyed by fire in 1913. Following the five year project, Hunter elected to remain in Charlottetown and went into partnership with Charles B. Chappell.

    Together the two architects carried out many significant church and hospital architectural projects both in PEI and the mainland as well as designing and building residential, commercial and public buildings on the Island. These projects included the Rena MacLean Veterans hospital erected on the grounds of Government House, the new Charlottetown Hospital, Antigonish Hospital, an addition to St. Dunstan's University, and renovations to the Court House in Charlottetown, Falconwood Hospital, and the Prince County Hospital. In addition, during the later years of his career, Chappell designed Heartz Memorial Hall, Zion Presbyterian Church, the Baptist Church in Wolfville, Nova Scotia and the Presbyterian Church in Amherst, Nova Scotia.

    Charles Benjamin Chappell died in 1931 followed only a few years later by John Hunter Marshall in 1942.

Custodial History

    (No custodial history available)

Scope and Content

    The fonds consists of elevations, floor plans, cross sections, and detail drawings and blueprints for projects carried out by Chappell and Hunter. Approximately two-thirds of the blueprints duplicate original drawings but the remainder are unique to the project. Project files have been intellectually arranged in five series by structure classification as follows:

    Series 1: Residential
    Series 2: Commercial
    Series 3: Churches and parochial residences
    Series 4: Public buildings
    Series 5: Miscellaneous unidentified

Restrictions on Access

    NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Access Points

Provenance:


Other Author:


Subjects:


Online Exhibit Link

    (No online exhibit links available)

Finding Aids

    SERIES DESCRIPTIONS AND PROJECT FILE LISTINGS ARE AVAILABLE

    Series

<< Back

back to top