Skip to Main Content

Archives Council of Prince Edward Island

print small medium large 

HOME /


Display results for Fonds Acc2752

Displaying detail for fonds Acc2752

Identifier

    Acc2752

Name of Repository


Title/Stmnt of Responsibility

    McLure's Store fonds

Dates of Creation

    1863-1864 ; 1869-1879

Physical Description

    .125 m. of textual records

Administrative History

    McLure's Store in Murray River appears to have been owned and operated by Cartney and Gavin McLure. The brothers immigrated to Prince Edward Island with their parents William McLure and Jane Boyd from County Ayr, Scotland in 1840. Cartney and Gavin operated mills, a shipyard and a store from their property in Murray River. The latter, which was in operation at least between 1863 and 1880, carried a wide range of goods including groceries, dry goods, tobacco and liquor. It is unclear how long the McLure brothers remained in business. Gavin died 13 January 1901 and Cartney died 13 May 1909. The brothers are both buried in Gladstone Cemetery in Murray River.

Custodial History

    (No custodial history available)

Scope and Content

    The fonds consists of one account book and four daybooks from McLure's Store in Murray River. The account book covers the 1863-1864 period and denotes debts and credits. The daybooks give itemized accounts of daily purchases by residents of the community from 1869-1872 and 1875-1879.

Restrictions on Access

    NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Access Points

Provenance:


Other Author:

    (No Other Author access points found)

Subjects:


Online Exhibit Link

    (No online exhibit links available)

Finding Aids

    NO FURTHER FINDING AID AVAILABLE


<< Back

back to top