Fonds Acc3495 - St. Bonaventure Roman Catholic Church fonds : [1845-1961]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Bonaventure Roman Catholic Church fonds : [1845-1961]

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA Acc3495

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • Microfilmed 1983 (Creation)
    St. Bonaventure's Roman Catholic Church

Physical description area

Physical description

1 reel of 35 mm microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

St. Bonaventure's Roman Catholic Church

Biographical history

Roman Catholic church services were held in the community of Tracadie Cross from the time of the first Scottish settlement in the area in 1772. Under the direction of Father James MacDonald, the immigrants from Glenaladale initially held their services in an abandoned Acadian chapel in Scotchfort. By the 1830s, settlement in the mission area which comprised portions of Lots 35 and 36 had grown to such a degree that a larger building was needed. The first St. Bonaventure's Roman Catholic Church was erected in ca. 1838-1840 under the direction of Rev. James Brady. A twelve acre farm and enough land for a cemetery were later donated to the church by a devoted parishioner. The first St. Bonaventure's served the community until 1903 when a second church was built twenty-five yards from the original structure. This second church was still in use in 2001.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of two microfilmed volumes of baptismal, marriage, and burial records from St. Bonaventure Roman Catholic Church spanning the time period 1845 to 1961. Volume 1 contains baptismal records from 1845 to 1892 as well as some marriage records from 1861-1892 and burial records from 1891-1892. Volume 2 contains baptismal and marriage records from 1887-1919 and burial records from 1920-1961.

Notes area


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Originals were returned to donor

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Finding aids


Associated materials

See also: Acc3271/28 and Acc2353/267

Related materials


General note

Microfilm is in microfilm cabinets in Reading Room

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area