St. Peter's Cathedral, Charlottetown, was built in 1869 as a 'Chapel of Ease' to St. Paul's, the Parish Church on Queen's Square. It began as a convenience for poor people living at "The Bog" near Governor's Pond. Bishop Hibbert Binney, the 4th Bishop of Nova Scotia, whose Letters Patent from the Crown gave him episcopal jurisdiction in Prince Edward Island, made it his Cathedral on the Island in 1879. St. Peter's has superb music, beautiful liturgy, strong orthodox Christian teaching and preaching, a friendly congregation, and a tradition of service to the community. From its founding, Saint Peter's Cathedral has been noted for its witness to and celebration of the Catholic tradition of Anglicanism.